1. K-State home
  2. »Partners
  3. »Independently Owned Model

Rural Grocery Initiative

Independently Owned Model

For resources in starting an independently owned store, a helpful first step is to call the NetWork Kansas referral center at 877-521-8600 or email at info@networkkansas.com

Make certain not to skip Step 2. Identifying the right structure for your business determines the pros, cons, and tax implications for your business. If you are in Kansas, register your business with the Secretary of State's office. In Kansas, call 785-296-4564. (Sole Proprietors are not required to register in the state of Kansas).

Apply for an EIN (Employer Identification Number) online from the IRS. The IRS can be reached at 1-800-829-1040 (options 1, then 3) if you have any questions. (Sole proprietors with no employees are not required to register for this either).

Secure a State Sales Tax ID number. In Kansas, this is filed with the Kansas Department of Revenue. This application can be submitted by mail, fax, or email. For Kansas residents, you can contact the Department of Revenue at 785-368-8222 (option 5, then option 2) or tac@kdor.ks.gov.

Go over the Grocery Store Licensing and Certification Guide (Found in Step 3) for resource information on applicable Kansas licensing requirements. 

Check with your city clerk to see if they require a local business license.

Return to Step 3