1. K-State home
  2. »Partners
  3. »Community Owned Model

Rural Grocery Initiative

Community Owned Model

For resources in starting a community owned store, a helpful first step is to call the NetWork Kansas referral center at 877-521-8600 or email at info@networkkansas.com.

If you are in Kansas, register your business entity with the Secretary of State's office at 785-296-4564. (Sole Proprietorship’s are not required to register in the state of Kansas). Community-owned stores are typically registered as a Corporation.

After you have incorporated or if you are going to be hiring any employees, register for an EIN (Employer Identification Number) online with the IRS. The IRS can be reached at 1-800-829-4933 if you have any questions.

Once your EIN is completed you will then need a Kansas Tax ID Number. This is filed with the Kansas Department of Revenue. Page 9 is form CR-16; the information leading up to this application is important so I would encourage you to skim it over. This application can only be submitted by mail, fax or as an email attachment. If you have any questions about the Tax ID Number you can contact the Department of Revenue at 785-368-8222 (option 5, then option 1).

Go over the Grocery Store Licensing and Certification Guide (Found in Step 3) for resource information on applicable Kansas licensing requirements.

Check with your city clerk to see if they require a local business license.

Return to Step 3