Rural Grocery Toolkit
This toolkit contains resources for two primary audiences: existing grocers and those establishing a new grocery store.
Tools for establishing a new grocery store
Below are five steps for planning and establishing a new grocery store. The resources contained in each step should be reviewed before committing to launch a store. The creators of the toolkit suggest reviewing the process and making a plan first, and then referring back to these resources as you develop the store.
Tools for existing grocers
Resources for existing stores are organized in the following six key business categories. Each category contains information for improving various facets of rural grocery operations.
The Rural Grocery Toolkit was developed by:
- Daniel Kahl, Center for Engagement and Community Development
- Alexis Wingerson, Kansas State University
- Jon Bailey, Center for Rural Affairs
- Julie Mettenburg, Kansas Rural Center
- Cole Cottin, Kansas Rural Center
- Natalie Fullerton, Kansas Rural Center
- Sarah Green, Independent Writer and Editor
- Cheryl Burkhart Kriesel, University of Nebraska Extension
- Leslie Manning, K-State Research & Extension, River Valley District
- Dan O’Brien, Ag Economist, K-State Research & Extension, Northwest Area
- Jan Steen, K-State Research & Extension, Reno County
- Jared Wasinger, Center for Engagement and Community Development