Rural Grocery Succession Planning
Every third Thursday at 1:30 PM Central*
Free and open to grocers, prospective grocers, and community stakeholders
Grocery stores face many uphill battles, from competition, to slim profit margins, to high operating costs. But another often-overlooked challenge affects not only grocers, but also entire communities: business transition. In other words, who will take over the grocery store once the owner is ready to move on?
Creating a transition plan helps ensure the grocery store continues operating, even after the owner exits the business. This is crucial in rural communities, where grocery stores are anchor institutions.
What will you learn?
In 2021, the Rural Grocery Initiative hosted an 8-part webinar series, Keeping Groceries Alive: Successful Ownership Transitions for Rural Grocery Stores. We only scratched the surface!
This webinar series will dive deeper into succession planning considerations. We will hear directly from rural grocers and resource providers to learn:
- Best practices for increasing business value
- Tips for finding a successor
- How to set up new business owners for success
- Nuts and bolts of emerging ownership models
- And more!
*Webinars will be held every third Thursday at 1:30 PM Central throughout 2022, except for the months of June and July. Webinar topics will be updated throughout the year.
- January 20 - Business Transition Overview - Watch Recording
- February 17 - Business Valuation 101 - Watch Recording
- March 17 - Transitioning a Small Format Grocery Store - Watch Recording
- April 21 - Beyond Grocery - Watch Recording
- May 19 - Purchaser Perspectives - Watch Recording
- August 18 - Register Here
- September 15
- October 20
- November 17
- December 15
Join us to learn strategies for creating a prosperous and sustainable ownership transition.
This webinar series will benefit rural grocers, prospective business owners, resource providers, economic developers, city leaders, community stakeholders, and more. If you are concerned about supporting and retaining rural grocery, this webinar series is for you.
When: Every third Thursday at 1:30 PM Central, starting in January 2022
Where: Zoom link provided with free registration
See you there!
This webinar series is sponsored by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation through the Heartland Challenge.